Unit 3 Discussion: Nonverbal Messages
6969 unread replies.101101 replies.
We communicate with others throughout our lives; at home, work, or in any other type of relationship that we have with others. One of the most common communication issues we face is the degree to which a person’s verbal messages match their nonverbal messages.
In Unit 2 we covered verbal messages. However, there are several different types of nonverbal behaviors to monitor as well. These include (but are not necessarily limited to):
- Facial expressions
- Body language/posture
- Haptics (touch)
- Proxemics (space or distance)
Keeping these or other types of nonverbals in mind, think of a situation from your own experience in which you were interacting with someone and they sent you a verbal message that was inconsistent with the nonverbal message. When you have your example in mind, describe the following information in your initial post:
- Describe the context of the situation.
- Who was the other person?
- What was the communication about?
- What was the verbal message that they sent, and what nonverbals did they send that were inconsistent with the verbal message?
- How did you interpret and react to this interaction?
- What was the outcome of the situation?
- Were your goals and their goals met?
Be sure to offer enough detail so that others can follow your example and respond accordingly.