Recently, I went with a friend to the Natural Science Museum in Houston. We specifically visited the Hall of Ancient Egypt. Enjoying the artifacts, we started a lively debate when viewing the mummies.
http://www.hmns.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=124&Itemid=127 (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
http://www.mfah.org/exhibitions/tutankhamun-golden-king-and-great-pharaohs/q-king-tut-curator/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Should artifacts of any ancient culture be returned to their home country or not? I will not state who thought what but I am interested in your view.
State your initial thoughts on the above using the PIE method. PIE make your point, illustrate your point and then explain your point. Put your responses in three separate paragraphs for each posting. Move the discussion forward. Do NOT repeat yourself.
Your second set of comments to your classmates must address the following:
- should these artifacts and mummies be returned to their place of origin? Why?
- have you considered the geopolitical conditions now?
- would the artifacts and remains be safer here in a museum?
- is there any benefits to studying the human body?
- If you believe it is disrespectful to display a mummy, why?
- Why did the ancient Egyptians preserve the body in the first place?
- If you feel it is disturbing to some people to see a mummy do you feel there are other valid reasons for viewing them?
- If you think it is unethical to display them, why?
- Ask permission of the dead? How?
- Finally, has your thoughts been changed by this discussion with your classmates?