As a special education teacher and case manager, you are the advocate for your student receiving services. As with instruction, discipline is an area special education teachers need to be aware of to make sure a student’s rights and service time are being met in conjunction with their IEP.
For this assignment, you will create a resource document to use when discipline issues arise, as well as to share with other staff members and families. You may be creative with this assignment in how you wish to present this document (e.g., word document, graphic organizer, etc.).
The following items must be covered in this resource:
- How do disciplinary decisions and actions vary between special needs students and regular education students? What factors need to be considered?
- Who are the stakeholders that need to be involved in the discipline process?
- What role does the district play regarding discipline decision-making?
- Who provides directions and training to the administrators and teachers to ensurethey are following IDEA regulations about discipline?
In addition to this resource, you need to research and summarize a 250-500 word response to the following questions:
- What are discipline issues that often arise with special needs students?
- What challenges, if any, do administrators and teachers face regarding special needs students?
- How should special educators support administrators to make the best decisions with discipline?
Support your findings with 2-3 scholarly resources.
Submit the resource document and summary as one deliverable.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin.