Assignment 2: Global Warming: Cause and Mitigation
Students, please view the “Submit a Clickable Rubric Assignment” in the Student Center.
Instructors, training on how to grade is within the Instructor Center.
Assignment 2: Global Warming: Cause and Mitigation Due Week 9 and worth 160 points
Among the most controversial topics in physical science, global warming has received a great deal of attention during the past decade. Given its great impact on both humans and the environment, lawmakers and scientists must heavily weigh the information that they are presented. Explore this debate in more detail by evaluating both the scientific basis of this phenomenon and the human role in global warming.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Compare and contrast natural versus anthropogenic climate changes. Include at least two (2) specific examples of each.
- Take a position as to whether or not global warming is taking place. Provide three (3) lines of evidence to support your position.
- Assess two (2) current mitigation strategies for global warming, such as carbon sequestration, carbon taxing, clean coal technology, higher fuel efficiency standards, and so on. Analyze the effectiveness of this mitigation strategy, as well as its potential costs and policy implications.
- Speculate on the policy changes that you would propose to help stabilize global climate and determine the business sectors or nations that would be held to more strict standards if you were to implement your proposed policies.
- Use at least four (4) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your report must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Apply concepts in physical sciences to evaluate current trends and issues in the modern world.
- Describe the physical processes influencing climate and weather.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in physical sciences.
- Write clearly and concisely about physical sciences using proper writing mechanics.
Click here to view the grading rubric.