Choose 1 of the following works to discuss the topic controversy and art:
- Richard Serra’s Tilted Arc,1981
- Chris Ofili’s The Holy Virgin Mary, 1996
- Erik Ravelo’s Children On the Cross or “Los Intocables” series 2013
- Judy Chicago’s Dinner Table, 1974-1979
- Banksy’s, Rat with a Camera, 2005
Paste an image of the work directly into the DB window. Do not post an attachment. Include the artist’s name, the title of the artwork, the year made, and the materials used. Respond to the following:
- Explain why the work was viewed as controversial at the time.
- Explain how the art you chose prompted social change or awareness.
- What are your thoughts on censorship in the arts?
In your own words, please post a response to the Discussion Board and comment on other postings. You will be graded on the quality of your postings.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
Ofili, C. (1996). The Holy Virgin Mary [Collage]. Retrieved from the khan Academy Web site: https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/global-culture/identity-body/identity-body-europe/a/chris-ofili-the-holy-virgin-mary
WTTW. (n.d.). Richard Serra’s Tilted Arc. Retrieved from http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/cultureshock/flashpoints/visualarts/tiltedarc_a.html